Friday, March 9, 2012

Can i get into Duke, UNC chapel Hill, UVA, UMICH, Tufts, Georgetown?

starting off, i'd like to add that i have not been doing so well in school these days, however, i plan to continue and keep on getting my grades up senior year.

i am currently junior, attending a GREAT school in NY. (goes in nation's top 50)

my 9th grade courses are...

Math A/B - A-

Digital music 1 and 2 - A+

Biology R - B-

Gym - A-

Spanish 1 - A+

Composition - B+

Global History H - B-

English H - B



10th grade..

Global history 2H - B+

Spanish 2H - B+

Math B/R - A-

English 10H - B

B/W Photo 1 - A-

Health - A

Intro to Psych - B+

Chemistry R - A-

Phys Ed - A



11th grade..

AP Chemistry - B (got a 3 on the exam)

Phys Ed - B+

Pre Calc R - B+

Spanish 3H - B+

AP US History - B- (got a 2, ik horrible, but im prob gonna cancel it or send it, depends on what ppl recommend, and plus its not my major topic so i dont think it matters cos i know someone whos gotten into cornell with a 2 on an AP)

Physics R - B+

English H - B+



12th grade i am planning to take

AP Biology

AP Economics

AP Calculus

Modern gothic lit / Creative writing

SUPA forensics (it's a College level course, affiliated with Syracuse University)

Statistics R

Spanish 4H

Gym

Participation in Government



The schools that i am interested are...

1. Duke University

2. UNC Chapel Hill

3. University of Virginia

4. University of Michigan

5. Tufts University

6. Boston College

7. SUNY Binghamton

8. Lehigh University

9. Georgetown (only because i could get a alumni/scholarship sponsor recommendation)

10. Vanderbilt University

I do have some safety schools, which i will look into later on.



Currently, my SAT scores are very low around 1900s, but it will definitely go up in October, i can guarantee 2000+ or even 2100.

I know that if i want to go to a competitive school, i should have all As, but for me, English was a big problem. I came from Korea in 5th grade, and graduated Middle school here. I understand that i should have mastered the English language by now, but education wise, it was very difficult. Speaking however, was no problem whatsoever. I lost my accent as soon as the beginning of 7th grade.



Some of my awards are...

- my high school scholars award

- a bronze medal in Science Olympiad, placed 3rd among 15 different schools, each having about 20-40 members.

- national honors society



My extracurricular activites

200+ volunteer hours

consistency in hospitals and churches

taught korean to young children

President/Creator of Habitat for Humanity Chapter in my school

Dance team

part of the JV volleyball team 9th and 10th

part of the Varsity track team in 11th

Project friendship - basically tutoring in 11th

and i will continue some of these clubs, if not join more in 12th grade



My weighed GPA right now is a 3.7, which is an A-

but i know that it should be well over 4.0 and i am willing to work hard the beginning of my senior year until i apply.

I can also get many recommendations from my AP teachers and Math teacher, and I want to major in either med, or something to do with math and science.

I also dance, sing and create albums as my hobbie.

I plan to send them one of my albums to show them that i am serious about my music.



Right now, as i write all this info down, i feel like im reaching for the stars here. Up until now, i thought that having an A- average is pretty solid. but looking at the individual grades of my classes, some of them went up, yet some of them went down. Please help me, and let me know my real chances. don't hesitate to be harsh, so i can wake up and do better. Also take into account that i didn't understand "literal english" well until about 9th grade.

I know that Duke is a HIGHLY competitive college, and i know that my chances of getting in are very slim. But it is my dream school, and i really really want to get in.



Anyone who's currently a student at Duke or any of the schools that i've listed up there except for Binghamton, Lehigh, and Boston college, will you please let me know how you did it?

i honestly, feel like i should have listened to my parents more and not have gone out so much. it feels good to be with friends until you realize you're almost at the end.

i apologize if this is so long and it gets boring.

thank you so much and let me know please!!

xxCan i get into Duke, UNC chapel Hill, UVA, UMICH, Tufts, Georgetown?
I agree with Bill. You are in for a wake-up call.Can i get into Duke, UNC chapel Hill, UVA, UMICH, Tufts, Georgetown?
I would recommend working on writing skills for admissions essays if for no better reason than to improve your ability to write, but other than that, you should be at the very least competitive for entrance into all the schools you listed.Can i get into Duke, UNC chapel Hill, UVA, UMICH, Tufts, Georgetown?
Looking at your list of colleges, I'd say Duke would probably be very difficult to get into, as you've mentioned. But if you write really good admissions essays, there might be a chance. UVA, Georgetown, and Vanderbilt will also be difficult from what I've heard and their admission rates. It's true that your grades from the past 3 years are not as good as they could have been, but there's nothing you can do about it now. So definitely work hard 1st semester senior year, since colleges will require those grades to be sent to them. Your extracurricular activities show leadership and include sports and academics, so that's a plus for you.

If Duke is definitely your first-choice school, consider applying early decision, but also know that the pool of applicants for early decision is more competitive than that of regular decision.

As someone who just went through the college admissions process this past year, I understand your worries. Work hard, and best of luck! :)
All those schools will be quite difficult for you ie they will be reach schools. Not impossible - but a low probability. You have far too many B's for schools like that - especially in grade 11 which is a key year they look at.



Thanks

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment