Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Leonardo di Vinci: the original RENAISSANCE man: who is your nominee for one of the 20th-21st century?

Although I browsed the category choices, couldn't decide upon one I felt was most appropriate for this question: so--------------------



Leonardo di Vinci: the original Renaissance man("di"/"da", whatever).



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da鈥?/a>



Who would be your nominee - now, since "Women's Lib" , either a man or woman, whichever, your choice - for one such of the 20th/21st century?



Restrictions(guidelines):



1) - choose ONLY one



2) - they must be recognized for their excellence in at least two or more primary endeavors; and at least one must be in a field of the FINE ARTS: painting, music, sculpture, architecture, literature, etc.



3) - give specific examples of their achievements: and I"m requesting "illustrations" of these: "links", examples - Nobel/Pulitzer, etc. awards; composition premieres, and/or commissions; Legion of Honor medal award(s); etc. I think you get the idea.



Please choose carefully, and I would hope for no one sentence responses: a minimum of at least one good size paragraph please.



Thank you, and have fun,



AlberichLeonardo di Vinci: the original RENAISSANCE man: who is your nominee for one of the 20th-21st century?
One specialty has to be in the arts? Oh no! Because I was going to recommend Linus Pauling. He's the only person ever to win two completely unrelated Nobel prizes- chemistry and peace. But anyways... I think somebody on the level of Leonardo is basically impossible nowadays. I'm not denying the guy was amazing!, but discoveries and inventions have gotten much more difficult. Everything nowadays requires such a high-level of expertise in a particular subject, esp. where science is involved, and I think it's much more difficult for people to be well-rounded anymore



That said, I'm nominating someone I talked to once, the most brilliant person I've ever met (Noam Elkies). He is the youngest tenured professor in Harvard history, a world-famous mathematician who won the Putnam prize at 16 and got his PhD at 20, and has discovered or disproved all sorts of high-level theorums. "He disproved Euler's sum of powers conjecture for fourth powers"... whatever that means. (Yeah, I had to look him up again) :) He's also a renowned pianist and composer who's been exploring the links between math and music. I talked with him about classical music for an hour, he had such a passion for it!
grygori ligeti is the best composer in the century 20 !!!!! tank you for the recomendation in my answer



i will imrpove in th english!!!Leonardo di Vinci: the original RENAISSANCE man: who is your nominee for one of the 20th-21st century?
green day sucks
Ok...I have to admit that my response won't be very "international"...I mean, perhaps others will call me a nationalist or whatever, but for me the man of the 20th century the Hungarian composer Zolt谩n KOD脕LY. I know that his name is well-known throughout the world because of his pedagogical achievements. Think of the Kod谩ly method, which teaches that there is no child without the ability of the perfect intonation - and love for music.

He was not only a "composer" and a great teacher, but he was fampous for his perfectionism...being an Arts student, he spoke many languages and knew well Hungarian and wold literature, well enough to choose many poetic masterpieces for his choral works.

Kod谩ly was awarded by many governments and had an important role in the Music Council of the UNESCO. Once Hungarian people wanted him to be the President of the country but he rejected it because he tried to stay far away from politics. But we can say that he was a great "politician": using his intelligence, his generous but often very harsh character, he could change the way of studying music. He said: "Let the music be of everyone." His numerous students spread the new method, many of them are still alive and can tell many stories of their master. That's why Kod谩ly is for me "the original 20th century man" and the greatest Hungarian.Leonardo di Vinci: the original RENAISSANCE man: who is your nominee for one of the 20th-21st century?
Your criteria are tough, but I'm going to suggest one of my heroes, Jimmy Carter.



He is recognized for his various writings including twenty-one books, one a children's story. But there is also his Nobel Peace Prize, Habitats for Humanity, his presidency and his work in many roles for peace in the Middle East. Then you also have his success at being a minister and farmer. Lots of other things, too, plus his general courage, boldness and optimism. You can read more at the Wiki source below.



I think our current society does a lot to discourage the bold forays into various fields of people like Da Vinci with its over-emphasis on certification and specialization. (I could say a lot more about that.) I could think of a few, only a few, other possibilities to mention, but you asked for just one.
I recall an article on this, in some science or literary journal. It was said the term as applied to the Renaissance Da Vinci, can no longer be applied to any genius past the early twentieth century.



The reason given made sense to me. Since the phenomenal and synchronous explosion in the nineteen-teens of discovery and progress in all art, letters and science, there is simply too much information in any one field and too much accumulated history and technical development in the arts for any one human being to achieve outstanding excellence in more than one or two fields.



I still have a faith in people to be remarkable, including remarkable polymaths. I will watch the answers here with eager curiosity.



always best regards, petr b.

No comments:

Post a Comment