Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Will this get me into one of the schools of the Ivy League or MIT?

I really want to get into one of the school of the Ivy League (Especially Harvard and Brown, but I am actually applying to a good majority of those as well as to MIT), so can somebody give me an honest opinion or how much more do I need



Math Olympiad: Won a Bronze Medal at the Mexican National Math Olympiad (2010), 4th Place at State competition (2010), and 2nd Place at State Competition (2009).

-Won 2nd place regional (Juarez), selected for state competition(Chihuahua), and preselected for national competition in 2008(Mexico)



Intel ISEF: 1st Place in the regional Science Fair Sun Country in El Paso in the area of High School Level Physics and Astronomy in February 2010.

3rd Place Sweeptakes at the REGIONAL Science Fair Sun Country in El Paso in the area of High School Physical Sciences Project

1st Place in the REGIONAL Science Fair Sun Country in El Paso in the area of High School Level Physics and Astronomy in February 2008.

-4th place (STATE) on the Texas State Science at San Antonio in the area of High School Level Physics and Astronomy in April 2008.



Academic Decathlon (A total of 25 medals)-In the 2010-2011 El Paso, Tx. (Regional) Academic Decathlon Honor Division, I received:

1st Place-Overall Score

1st Place- Super Quiz (Geology)

1st Place-Arts

1st Place- Best Team Member

2nd Place- Mathematics

3rd Place- Social Science

3rd Place- Music

+ 3 Team Medals (All silver)

-In the 2009-2010 El Paso Academic Decathlon Honor Division, I received:

1st Place-Super Quiz (French Revolution)

1st Place-Music

1st Place- Science (Chemistry)

1st Place- Best Team Member

2nd Place- Overall Score

2nd Place- Language and Literature

3rd Place- Arts

+ 3 Team Medals

-In the 2008-2009 El Paso Academic Decathlon Honor Division I received:

1st Place-Language and Literature

1st Place- Best Team Member

3rd Place- Social Science

5th Place- Overall Competitors Score



AP Exams:

AP Spanish Language-5

AP United States History-3

AP English Language and Composition-3

AP Art History-3

AP English Literature and Composition-3

AP United States Government and Politics-3

AP Calculus AB-5

AP Spanish Literature-5

AP Awards: AP Scholar with Honor (2010), AP Scholar with Distinction (2011)



SAT Scores: Math 800, Critical Reading 600, Writing 650 Composite 2050

Math 790, Critical Reading 590, Writing 600 Composite 1970



SAT II Scores: Math Level II 740, Chemistry (October 2011), Literature (October 2011), Physics (October 2011)



GPA: 97.9 (Unweighted), 101.1 (Weighted), I would say my GPA is about 3.9 or even 4.0, I looked at the GPA Conversion Scale and it turns out to be something like that or very close to it.



Salutatorian and International Student (Mexican)



+350 hours of Community Service by Helping Kids at a Summer Camp, Math Tutoring, being involved with the Church, and instructing Health Issues for kids at a hospital



President of the Science Club, Vice-President of the Class, member of the National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, and National Hispanic Honor Society, Chess Club, Soccer Team



I speak both English and Spanish with fluency



I have worked on three research projects on my own, which were reviewed by several regional college professors of the area and offered me scholarships to do my Master's as they thought I was a graduate student while in reality I was in High School)



I would say my GPA is about 3.9 or even 4.0, I looked at the GPA Conversion Scale and it turns out to be something like that or very close to it.Will this get me into one of the schools of the Ivy League or MIT?
Your CR and writing SAT scores are well below the averages for the schools you want. HOWEVER, they aren't below the averages for people for whom English is their second language - they are rather good for someone whose first language is not English. So I think you should apply to these schools. You have a shot.Will this get me into one of the schools of the Ivy League or MIT?
I suspect the one thing that would set you apart from the great majority of applicants to the Ivies and MIT is the fact that you are an international student.Will this get me into one of the schools of the Ivy League or MIT?
It's very likely that you could get into those schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment