Friday, March 9, 2012

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into NCSSM?

Freshman year for me is almost over and soon it'll be sophomore year and I'll be beginning my NCSSM application. Usually I am very confident about me being able to get in, but lately I've seen more and more impressive qualifications from people that have applied before. Of course it worried and intimidated me a bit, but I figured since I have a bit of time to get more done before I apply that maybe you guys could help me figure out what else I need to get on track.

First off, I go to Howard Health and Life Sciences High School. Really small, not hard to get into, but a bit of a challenge for most to succeed in. But thanks to my middle school foundation at SFCMS, I can manage quite well. However, going here limits the types of classes I can take. And many kids get accepted that don't wanna be there and they disrupt the flow and I feel I need more of a challenge with a more select group of hard working individuals as my classmates.

G.P.A. 4.7

I am in CD7, how competitive is that?

I have taken the PSAT but haven't gotten my scores back yet, however I think I did very well.

Last semester I took:

Honors English I - 99 and 91/4 on EOC

Algebra 1 -96 and a 97/4 on the EOC

Computer Apps I- 98 and 98/2 on VOCATS

PE/Health- 100

This semester:

Honors Geometry- Around a 96 at the moment

Honors English II- a 98 at the moment

Honors World History- a 99 and a 99 on the midterm

MWD or Comp. Apps II- around a 98 right now.



I'm taking Latin II online this summer and took Latin I in 8th grade for a high school credit.

Next year I'll be taking:

Hnrs Earth/Environmental Science, Hnrs Biology, Hnrs English III, Hnrs Algebra II, and two different college courses at FTCC: HEC and ACA

And hopefully I'll be approved to take Latin III hnrs online! :)

Clubs:

I have participated in Sciene Olympiad since the 6th grade. In 8th grade I received a gold medal in Pentathlon, and two silvers in Under Pressure and Meteorology at Regionals. At state I placed 8th in Under Pressure.

This year I placed first in Towers, third in Microbe Mission, and fourth in Ecology. These were three medals out of the four that my school had. I will be going on individually to state for Tower.

Extracurriculars:

I have played rec soccer since the third grade and this fall and spring I have helped coach soccer for rec and used that as my volunteer hours.

I have volunteered more than 20 hours at the Cliffdale Public Library. I volunteered around 13 and a half hours at the FAPS Animal Haven. And so far coaching indoor soccer I have accumulated 3 hours.

I also help tutor when EOCs get near and people are scrambling to get ready for it.

I am a student in SR-AHEC'S T.E.A.C.H. program. We meet once a month on a Thursday for a two hour lesson about the human body. I went a very beneficial college tour to Atl with them a few weeks ago.

Recently, I have been accepted in the JSA Summer Program at Georgetown University. It's very prestigous but a bit expensive. Nonetheless, I fully intend to attend it this summer.

I am helping a friend of mine create a very nice Music Club, I'm hoping to create a Debate Club at my own school, and I plan, create, and lead many student-run study sessions. I don't like to run for SGA at my school, because its mostly a popularity contest and not everyone likes people that don't let them copy off their work (me). I am also a Peer Mediator for my class, which means that I helps regulate the drama and rumors that go around and make sure that we can stop cat fights before they happen and help people not get their feelings hurt.

At Howard, I have discovered that I plan to go to a big time college, get accepted into a good medical school and study to go into Oncology research, and/or Biomedical research. Even if the money isn't really there. However, I also plan to do some EMS for a while for extra money, plus it fascinates me :) And my third plan has always been to fly the helicopter as a Paramedic and I think that is something very easy for me to achieve. However, since I am so good at writing, medical journalism or just any kind of journalism is another fall back plan I have. I plan to make my future options like mentioned above very clear in my application.

I'm great at math and science, and a am a great writer too. What else can I do to improve my chances of getting in?What can I do to increase my chances of getting into NCSSM?
I'm a sophomore and I just found out that I was accepted today. Your GPA looks excellent and your classes look strong. I would recommend taking precalculus before the end of sophomore year and maybe getting in an extra science, though it looks like that might be difficult at this point. The whole point of districts is so that population is balanced; therefore I would worry about whether our not you're from a populated city. When you write essays, do NOT list unless you have no room. Try to make your essays in paragraph format and elaborate on and play up your achievements. If you do create debate club, that is an excellent thing to put on your essays. Also, though they look for science and math achievements primarily, writing is very important as well. Good luck, hope this helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment